The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Painting the logos

Wow, a "shop that specialized in selling pin stripping paint"?   Should
be easy enough to find one of those in Santa Fe.  ;)  Seriously, though,
1950's Corvette Red is a terrific tip, one that I'm going to follow up
on.
Cristi
stripping paint

> I have a 1958 Silver Streak Clipper with complete aluminum logos front
> and  rear.  They had small chip fragments of original paint in the
> corners of  some letters.  The "Silver Streak" was turquoise and the
> "Clipper" was  bright red.
>  I had a gentlemen that has been doing antique car restorations  for
>  over 60
> year look at the colors and he said they looks very much like the
> late 1950s Ford Turquoise and the late 1950s Corvette Red.  I bought a
> very  small can of each at a shop that specialized in selling pin
> stripping paint (total cost of less than $15.00) and the paint
> matched perfectly to the original  chips. The paint has now been thru
> three years of weather and many  trips and look fine.
>
> Hope that this may be of help, regards. jim
>

> In a message dated 6/29/2008 11:20:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> chaya7@ix.netcom.com writes:
>
> Was it  you, Tom, who painted some logos using "model shop paint" and
> felt that it  stood up really well to weather and wind?
>
> We have huge issues with  weather down here with the temperature
> extremes, dryness, blowing sand,  and most especially strong UV
> radiation.  So since this will be so  important to us, I've been
> researching it online a  little.
>
> I've learned that of the various model acrylics, Floquil  acrylics are
> the only ones that 1) offer colors close to what we need, and  2)
> specifically state that they work well on metal.  I was delighted  to
> find that Reefer White, a paint in the Floquil Polly Scale Railroad
> Colors line, was a PERFECT match for the background of the logo.  (I
> happen to have the paint here and looked at the color after I had
> painted  it on a white card).
>
> The red isn't so easy.   Basically, I'm trying to find reds that have
> no black or white and very  little yellow in them.  I have DTI Cherry
> Red, but it seems to have a  little too much black in it.  Odd,
> because the actual DTI red (prior  to solar fading) seems perfect.
> Maybe Seaboard Air Line Chinese Red  would work okay.  Under the
> "Model and Hobby" line, Polly Scale  offers Red, which seems nice.
>

> Under the Badgers  acrylic railroad colors line (now owned by Testors)
> I found CB
&Q  Chinese Red that might be a match.  And the Model
> Masters acrylic
line (now owned by Testors) has some VERY nice reds.
> Rot RLM 23 and
Stop Light Red both look great.  Chevy Engine Red and