From: sslist-admin@tompatterson.com [mailto:sslist-admin@tompatterson.com] On Behalf Of Eddie
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 6:42 PM
To: sslist@tompatterson.com
Subject: Re: [SilverStreak] Newbie battery question

Al,
That is totally incorrect. Grease is a hydrocarbon. It promotes conductivity
and it conducts electricity not much differently than the carbon brushes in
your electric drill or blender. There are specialized greases for sensitive
contact connections, which lead lugs to lead lugs are not, that are even
designed for specific types of metals. There is dielectric grease and
others. Your CPU processor must have a white grease beneath it to conduct
heat and that grease is constantly improved upon. It is basically a grease
with extremely fine aluminum powder in it. Without that grease your
processor would instantly burn up.

You are correct that grease should be liberally applied as a protective
coating over the completed assembly. You are totally incorrect to believe
the grease will interfere with the contact of the concealed lead to lead
connection. It will do three things and they are; Promote the electrical
contact connection, Totally prevent the inevitable seepage of acid corrosion
between the tapered post and tapered lug, and Allow the soft metal to move
while tightening forming a uniform shape to shape mating.

You can see the application in most every automotive 1157 and 1156 bulb on
any modern vehicle including your own. Simply remove a bulb and you will see
the industry learned in 1983 to apply a bulb grease to the entire bulb base
and socket. Bulb grease is available everywhere and no bulb including the
1995 and up pin-based bulbs should ever be installed without the grease.
Prior to the greasing of bulb bases, a constant corrosion occurred to the
base and bulb causing a loss of ground connection as well a B+ contact. As
the connection was lost, the socket heated up ruining the socket components.

Advising and reminding the good people of this forum to take the little
extra and messy step of greasing everything from batteries to bulbs, rubber
hoses that connect to radiators, their trailer connectors, and much more is
proper, correct, and professional. I am no expert, but I am a professional
and I would be totally remiss to participate in this forum, with people I
care about, have never and probably will never meet, but not share such a
simple and basic knowledge.

It is no big deal, I am not special, and I really don't care if you choose
to "do it your way". People get tired, don't want to bother, or just hate
the mess. That is absolutely ok with me, but if my old grandpa was here,
he'd make you take it all back apart and do it right. This is nothing new.

-Eddie-
Houston, TX