The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Hinges

Scott,  OOPS, I left out part of the URL, I believe the one below is
correct.

Welcome to the list, and congratulations on joining the select few who
own one of these great trailers.  I have a 26' 1972 Continental Atlas
Silver Streak.  I am of the opinion that the 26' size is Ideal.
Plenty of room for extended camping, yet easy to tow, park and
maneuver.  I certainly understand "falling in love" with one of these
extremely well built trailers.

When I replaced my Hinges with new Stainless Steel hinges, fabricated
using a set of New OEM (Pot Metal) hinges as patterns, I noticed that
among the many holes in the trailer body and doors there seemed to be
a set of holes that would match a much smaller footprint hinge.  I
believe at least 4 or 5 sets of large footprint hinges were utilized
as replacements prior to my Stainless Steel hinges.  We have been
trying to obtain hinges for the past three years, with little result.
As far as I know the hinges I had made up were the first "Hand Made"
Stainless Steel hinges ever fabricated for any of our Silver Streaks.
Tom has pictures of the hinges and the instillation at:
 	http://tompatterson.com/Other/Silverstreak/hinges/hinges.html

I now have my hinge problem permanently solved, but there are many
others out there who need hinges.  Hopefully someone will come up with
a replacement hinge set at a price considerably lower than the $550.00
+ Freight that the shop I utilized charges.  That shop does not even
want to get into the hinge business, but will, as a favor to me.  The
email posted on Tom's site listed above goes into detail.

Tom Patterson's efforts are what make this forum and all of the data
resources possible.  To my knowledge there are no other Silver Streak
or Streamline sites left from the days when Silver Streaks and
Streamline trailers were in production.  If it were not for Toms hard
work, very little information would be available, and those of us who
own these trailers would not have a forum to communicate with each
other.

Those of us on this list share a love for the great trailers that were
made under the Silver Streak and Streamline names.  We may not know
all of the answers, but we try to help each other when ever possible.
Unfortunately one of the real Experts on the subject, he rebuilt over
100 "Silver Streaks", Died about 4 or 5 years ago, and I fear that
much knowledge on these old trailers was lost with his passing.

Regards,

Ralph Cooke
Bakersfield, CA
rcooke@bak.rr.com