The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Electrical question

The big difference between fixed house and RV 120VAC wiring is that in RVs the neutral (white) and ground (green or bare copper) do not connect in the RV. They are connected in the pedestal ("shore"), which is the "real" supply panel for the RV.
If part of your 120VAC outlets (receptacles) go dead when you switch the converter (what I guess you are referring to as a "transformer") off, something is wired really curiously. The 120VAC outlet into which your converter is plugged is just one of the 120VAC outlets in the RV's system. It may be controlled by a toggle (ordinary house-type wall) switch but nothing else should be connected to this switch.
Al

-- "Eddie" <Eddie@Huffstetter.com> wrote:

Curt,
I'm trying to understand what you are referring so maybe you can elaborate.
There should be no 120v standard duplex outlets that are in any way powered by any transformer. If equipped, you have a transformer that is 120v powered, but is converting that ac voltage to basically 12v dc. That is all it does and this converter is used for powering the 12 volt battery supplied systems WITH 12 volt battery(s) in place but not without the battery.

I have never seen the models of our coaches use more than four fuses or
breakers and usually one of those is wired to be a main breaker for the
other three. There is usually no need for more. Usually one is dedicated for the roof air and not shared. The other two can be any configuration for 120 volt ac wall plugs, devices and appliances.

As far as connecting your 120 volt water heater needs, you can use existing nearby duplex standard outlets, or follow your shore power cord to the breaker or fuse box and sometimes add yourself a service there. A dual-fuel modern water heater often will also need additional wiring for it's solid state controller and selector switch. It can require low-consumption 12 volt power for that and the automatic switching capabilities.

If you foresee an opportunity to tow the trailer to Houston with you on one of your regular trips, I would gladly take a moment to complete your installation of the new unit. I have done many of them. You have my personal contact info and the offer is no big deal to me. You can contact Tom Patterson if you feel you need or want to confirm my capabilities for a professional installation in whole or in part.

If you want to complete it yourself I will be more than happy to help you step by step. It's no big deal. The main thing is that I already know you are more than capable of doing anything and I am confident in your ability to work safely as I would feel terrible if you got hurt doing something only limited by your being unfamiliar with it. Anybody who can do what you do can do this too. So let's get you comfortable with anything electrical because any RV is always loaded with those maintenance and addition tasks.

Let's git-r-done!
-Eddie-
Houston, TX