The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] New Hinge Arrived!

Ken,
No, I think they look better! The material is almost 1/8" thick, they are a
perfect match for out trailer skin, and the loops are so tightly closed you
have to really look to see which side has the little contact.

There is zero slop on the main door leaf! The surfaces are slick and smooth
on both sides. Every dimension including the 18 holes are laser-cut. I'd
like to see that machine. The cut surfaces are a polished look! The holes
are very precise to a 3/16" drill bit. The rivets fit, but the holes are so
precise, you have to work and wiggle in at first. Then it just slides right
in, but there is no slop. The little hinge pin can be pushed up with effort
to remove, and extends 3/8" below the hinge loop bottom in case people want
to drill it for a little tiny cotter pin, thread it, put a spot of weld,
slightly bend it, put a drop of super glue, or just leave as is. It is all
very precise and very exact digital fabrication. Each are mirror of the
other. There is no best or worst. They are just all the same.

The darn killer tape did not come today and I am angry because I paid for
blue label shipping. We really need to apply the tape for a perfect
installation.

The rivets are really superb as are the drill bits I bought. You will like
the drill bit because the step is long, not a short starter-tip like the
expensive Milwaukee, or equivalent. Rivets and bits are much better than I
thought they'd be.

Your going to really like this hinge! It is something called 304 B2
Stainless and tough! I gave one of mine to Snuffy and he can't chew it up so
you know it must be tough! The crates are long like arsenal crates. They are
heavy!

I sure thank you for all the consulting. That really helped with the
decision of which rivet to use. Thor Faber of Thor Faber Marine in
Huntington Beach CA spent two hours with me in finding a triple-strong load
spreading rivet, the EternaBond killer tape, the Lexol sealer, and the
Aviation premium step drill bits. He really knows his stuff. Thor is a huge
Viking and you'd really like him. He has a Spartan, but no Silver Streak. He
is just a really good friend.

Ralph was delighted with the kit contents I ran by him for his approval. He
is going to get the 60 mil version of the tape for his race car.

This is going to be GOOD!
-Eddie- Houston, TX