The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Ken Wilson~new hinge installation procedure

Ken,
I find interesting the body hinge curve you speak of. This was the issue and
purpose of using only a new-in-the-box pattern. I find this very important
topic.

The new hinge used as a pattern, had no curves anywhere. This is important.
I had access to my old hinges and Ralph's. All of these were rejected as
patterns as each had curves, and each was different. There were body leaf
mount curves. There were plug-door leaf curves, and there were main door
leaf curves. There was no consistency. Now you mention yours also has a
body-leaf to body-mount curve. The body should be flat there.

Was that curve on both top and bottom? How can a solid 1/4" thick pot metal
7" long 2" wide piece have a longitudinal bend curve? I hope you can see why
there was the importance of using Ralph's new, never installed hinge as the
pattern?

Yours are the best condition hinges I have seen. I would like to see those
or even acquire them. I would like to ship these to Ralph for comparison and
even perhaps save yours for patterns. Let's get together and closely compare
yours with another manufactured set so we can address this issue. I am also
wondering if you had pulled down the top set of rivets first, would that
have made the new hinge more closely pull down and close that gap, or pull
the body back to flat-shape surface? I have enough rivets if you care to
retry that on the body-leaf with the gap. Can we try that before you address
the gap?

All parts of the Ralph NOS hinge were perfectly flat. There exists no curves
on any part of the attachment surfaces. I wonder if Thomas Williams
experienced any of what you described.

The slight drop you described upon removal of the top hinge with the main
door latched and dead bolted, tells me that your door is hanging on the
hinges, with no support load afforded by the latch or the dead bolt. That's
a lot of body-load, but not necessarily bad as latches and dead bolts should
have some slop and would not easily operate if they were load-bearing or
under stress.

I think a person should take a flat paint stirring stick and tape that on
the main door threshold and top opening as necessary to shim the door snugly
when closed and thus avoid the slight drop when the top hinge rivets are
removed. Also a person might temporarily put rivets as guide dowels in one
or two holes prior to removal of the last rivet. Maybe that would be useful
somehow.

Thank you for your report. I did struggle with the length of the rivet I
ordered as I wanted all the concealed load-spread support I could get, but
knew there would be a depth limitation issue on the thinner plug door. Looks
like I got the length correct, but the old rivet must be pushed well out of
the way.

The engineers at the rivet company insisted the only solution was that they
wanted all of us to disassemble our trailers and the doors for installation
and then reassemble. I insisted that was not acceptable. Much effort was put
into this rivet choice to avoid disassembly of the doors or trailer body.

I suspect cutting and affixing the tape as I instructed on the new hinge,
then putting the entire hinge into the freezer just prior to installation
may indeed make the tape less sticky for that last moment of line up.

We need more input about that slight body leaf curve you mention from Tom
Williams, and did he have any of that as you did.
-Eddie- Houston, TX