The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Pex plumbing

Bev,
I'm familiar with pipes and joints placed under and where not accessible. I
suggest re-design your upgrade for plumbing with no joints put where they
cannot be serviced. Also consider chaffing and fasteners that may warrant a
placement different to avoid that potential problem. PEX should last
indefinitely. Any joint is subject to leak or maintenance so make a separate
dedicated PEX run as needed and put the joint tee where you want it and can
service it, not where a company trying to save $3 put it. You can stack tees
making a manifold, or buy a manifold to make a separate run to each faucet
and fixture. Manifolds have individual cut off 1/4 turn knobs. Manifolds
basically feed equal flow when simultaneous fixture usage instead of one
fixture flow reduced. I made my manifold with tees to save some costs. The
manifolds are expensive.

This is the same procedure for electrical. Put no joint inaccessible. Join
connections only in fixtures, service boxes, and areas accessible, never
hidden behind a panel, wall, or non removable fixture such as range, fridge,
etc. In a home, it is always illegal to conceal a joint. All joints must be
made at an accessible junction box or service box such as the boxes for wall
switch, outlet, ceiling fixture.

I am using a clone of PEX for connectors, but have heard everything good
about the PEX connectors. My understanding is that new homes are being
constructed with what is now preferable PEX for time saving = cost saving
installation and better than all alternatives for longevity, especially in
affluent areas such as Plano TX.

I also subscribe to the VAL list. There they have much PEX discussion. They
have individuals who have freeze test compared PEX with copper, iron pipe,
and PVC. The PEX was superior to all in that test. Copper is next, PVC is
next, and iron pipe worst for freeze failure.
-Eddie- Houston, TX