The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] (Fwd) Help re Removing toilet platform

The rot (constantly wet wood over a long period of time that caused it to go
quite soft) was fairly extensive; thus the dissasembly. That is the key
word, as it was easy to re-assemble afterwards. The toilet "platform" (on this
model just another sheet of plywood on which to mount the toilet flange) had
gone bad. I replaced the toilet, supply line (added a shutoff), the flange
and used new fasteners to secure this. The carpeting used by the PO (previous
owner) covered up and exacerbated this problem over some time. It should be
said, in fairness, that the trailer was in overall excellent condition so this
is not meant to be a complaint on his actions/inactions.

The anti-freeze helped to displace the moisture, and the heat gun got the wood
sufficiently dried to be able to test for softness. Once the wet was gone so
was the threat of softened wood. I have, but elected not to use a two-part
epoxy as the areas were small and seemed fine afterwards. We installed a
cork tile floor afterwards.