The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] 73 Continental Rocket restoration

Kenny and Ralph,

Mine are still good, slight fading but I am afraid to even gently wash. I
wonder about making a tracing for a pattern. I like the way Streamline made
their lettering from metal. I would love to make all the SS letterings from
brass sheet stock so exact I could rivet them over the existing lettering.
The brass could be finished in clear coat like a band instrument. Even the
side letterings could be done. The brass would complement the gold anodized
trim. It would last indefinitely and modern clear coats last about 10 years
at least. What I envision would look elegant I think, but could be done in
aluminum and painted red if desired to exact match the original.

Downtown Houston Gribble Stamp and Stencil used to take such patterns, and
whip out any letterings in brass. Wasn't that expensive. The company barely
exists now. I guess I could easily buy 1/32" or 1/16" brass sheeting, but
the only way I know to cut out a pattern tracing would be with a hand jig
saw. Then the cut edges would have to be finished I suppose with a file and
Dremel.

That's my idea as plastics only have certain life.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX