The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Flipped axels sound decesion

I'v  read all the comments regarding flipping axles with great  interest, and
i thank everyone for the excellent comments and  explanations.  I have a 1958
23 foot SS Clipper that i've entirely  restored to modern conveniences.  This
included adding a rear 30  gallon gray and 9 gallon black water tank in the
rear between frame  members.  These drop about three inches below the rear
belly pans and  therefor to decrease the possibility of drag, etc. i flipped the
springs on my  axles.  This added height helped to add the clearance that i
felt i  needed.  I've since traveled over four thousand miles (with all catch
tanks  empty) in every type weather and on every type road.  I have not noticed
any change in towing performance and have had to take at least one emergency
maneuver at high speed across three lanes BUT i do have two axles, which
provide  me with a very stable towing platform.

I would be interested in comments regarding the number of axles being
flipped - single or double.  Thank you, jim