The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] FW: Silver Streak Digest V1 #556

The Airstream dealer in Weatherford recommends (stocks) the OPTIMA blue top
and reports that his customers (buying $80 and $100,000 trailers) are pleased
with them, even with big-dollar solar retrofits to the roof. Not cheap, but
tough. B You may buy cheap this time, but keep looking for the better solution
for the long-term.

B B I replaced the old, and heavy, charger/convertor in my '83 (it was
starting to act up) with a 45A "Wizard" (name?) available from Camping World.
B It has a multi-stage charger and float, one can leave it on if equipped with
the optional controller. B I have no concerns about the battery, thusly. B

It would also be a good idea to replace the batt cabling if it looks old. B I
prefer to use NO-ALOX to coat the terminations, keeps sulfation buildup on the
ends to nothing or minimal. B (THere are other products which do well).

Be sure to also check the circuit breakers, do they open and close smoothly?
B Etc. B Check all the interior/exterior outlets for polarity/proper
connections, and replace or add ground-fault interrupters on the circuits.
(Mine was: bath, and on each wall as they led forward from the rear circuit
panel).

Check, or have checked, the ground wiring post (if in the same area as mine)
under the hitch frame mount battery box. B I removed all the ends, cleaned and
replaced and coated. B It would also be good to check brake wiring, preferably
with a clamp-on meter to check amperage at each brake. (Not quite
battery-related, I know, but part of an electrical survey for good
operation).

I also changed out the running lights on mine with low-amp draw l.e.d. units.

See to interior lighting as well. B Sometimes corrosion can build on
terminations and shorten fixture life.

Good luck.