The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] camping in COLD weather

I've camped in my 1958 Clipper several times where the hose line into the
trailer has frozen.  I keep the pink fluid in all traps and in the  toilet.  I
have replaced the gas regulator to my space heater (just inside  the door to
the left) and the new one has a temperature regulator on a thin wire  which i
ran up the heater side near center.  This heater turns itself on  and off as
needed and keeps the inside air fairly cozy.  That and blankets  seem to work.  I
have not experienced any sweating with this so far.   OF note however is that
the trailer inside skin gets very cold and i use a  blanket buffer along the
outside wall.  The inside fresh water tank has  never been a worry but now
that someone has mentioned it, i will start watching;  along with the new hot
water heater that i mounted thru the skin (i usually  have this on gas so it may
not be a problem).  Over the years i would guess  that any insulation has
dried out and shook itself down all walls to cross  braces, therefor i have never
seen any real insulation benefit either in very  cold or in very hot weather.
My roof mounted air conditioner can cool my  trailer down in about 20 minutes
even in 115 degree climate after sitting all  day but here again while the
inside air is great, the inside walls remain fairly  hot to the touch for a
considerable amount of time.  best regards,  jim