The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Re: Silver Streak Digest V1 #446

I am an owner of a 1951 SS Clipper which is under beginning restoration.
I am also an avid and seasoned wood worker. I believe the paneling will
be fairly straight forward. I would use the same fastening method used
in the original construction. However, today's "glues" are much
stronger. One thought is to build a jig outside the trailer with the
radius you need to bend the paneling and pre-bend the paneling for the
radius. The use of steam/hot water and a slow bend and drying in the
form may prove to provide a good solution. You will have some natural
spring back, but the final fit in the camper will be a small push
instead of the full radius push.

Regarding the cabinet drawers, if you want a new face to them, either
veneer with a very thin sliver ( can be bought at many places) or
replace the entire face board. I do not  know how you would plane down a
drawer face unless you take the drawer apart. In that case, I would
remake the face board to the wood of your choosing and reassemble the
drawer. How do you plan on refurbishing the cabinet face frames as now
they will not match your drawer fronts?

Lynn