The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Just getting started

Ann,

Congratulations on your new Silver Streak, I'm sure you won't ever
regret your new acquisition.  Generally "Silver Streaks" and
"Streamlines" were a cut above Airstream in overall quality, and were
built on stronger frames.

I suggest you have the brakes checked out and have the wheel bearings
repacked first thing.  If the tires are more than 5 years old, have
them replace with "trailer" tires.  These are tires that you air up to
80 PSI and are specifically built for trailers.  They are safer, also
more durable than passenger car tires, and give better "sway" control.

Check to see if a "Grey Water" tank has been added.  On trailers build
prior to 1973 only a "Black Water" Holding tank for the toilet was
installed.  Sink and shower runoff was drained directly to the ground
via a hose fitting in the drain cover.  In 1973 the EPA required that
all direct drain of "Grey Water" be sent to a sewer, or collected in a
portable tank, then drained to a sewer.  I was fortunate in that my
1972 26' Silver Streak had a 35 gallon "Grey Water" tank
professionally added in the mid 1970's.

Check to see if the Propane Tanks have had the new fill valves
installed, due to Federal Low, propane suppliers will no longer refill
tanks with the older valves.

If you go to Tom's website, you should be able to download drawings,
schematics and other data on the equipment in your Silver Streak.

Tom's web site, forums etc. are the very best resource for our "Silver
Streak" and "Streamline" trailers, and his efforts in setting up and
maintaining the web sites are much appreciated by all.

Ralph Cooke