The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] 1978 30' Silver Streak Saturn Supreme

Hello to all,

I am having problems keeping the Attwood water heater lit, after checking
everything I can think of, I have narrowed it down to the "flame detector"
probe or thermocouple that is in the flame path. The unit lights up
immediately when the ignition switch is depressed inside, and the flame is
bright blue, but after a few seconds (less than 20 seconds) the gas
solenoids start clicking, stopping my gas supply and the flame. Is there a
way to test the "probe" or the circuit board? Any thing I am missing? I hate
to blindly experiment with a $200 circuit board.

All of the model numbers and instructions for the water heater have faded
off the inside of the water heater door compartment; does anyone know what
Attwood model of water heaters was common on this year trailer? I am sure I
need a model # to order parts. All I know is that it is a 10 gallon electric
ignition unit made by Attwood.

Also I noticed water pouring out of the skin on the back of the trailer when
my unhappy wife was taking a very cold shower( due to the above mentioned
problem), but if I run water in the bath tub drain to check for leaks I can
not seem to duplicate the problem. Is it common for the supply to the shower
head to leak and possibly run through the wall? I have had good results to
30 Psi testing the water system with all the faucets off. I have not run
across any evidence of leaks inside the trailer, so far?

Any thoughts or info would be greatly appreciated!

jonathant@csphouston.com