The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Re: Titling problems

I ran into a problem of incompatibility between state DMVs when I
titled a vehicle from Oregon here in Kentucky.

According to Ky. rules, a vehicle cannot be titled or registered in Ky.
until it is physically brought to a county clerk's office in Ky. (no
"DMV" as such in Ky.; they have a "Transportation Cabinet") This is not
uncommon as many if not all states require a VIN inspection on vehicles
brought from out-of-state.

OK. Then the rules require a vehicle to be registered "immediately." No
provision is provided for getting it from the state line to the county
courthouse in the county of residence. Just sneak, is the only
response. So you could get a citation if for some reason you were
stopped between the state line and the county courthouse and you had a
Ky. driver license already. Just be careful and hope not to run into a
license-registration-insurance check.

Then, the proof of purchase from the out of state dealer where you
bought the vehicle is not good enough. The out of state title isn't
either. An affidavit by the selling dealer or individual, on the Ky.
title-registration application ONLY, is required or the clerk will
charge you sales tax on full "Blue Book" value. So, it cost me an extra
 fifty bucks in tax I didn't owe.

So, I could have left, faxed the Ky. application to the dealer in
Oregon, who would have had to get his signature notarized (I think Ky.
will accept Ore. natary?), then faxed it back. Maybe only a couple of
days would have gone by, two days to get ticketed for not registering
the vehicle "immediately."

And DMVs have the gall to call us "customers." "Victims" is more like
it. So much for the "right to travel." It's more like, "Boy, where's
yo' pass?"

Al Grayson