The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] 1973 One Owner SS Questions

Doni,

Hi, Last Fall I purchased a 1972, 28 Ft. SS Cont. Apollo.  I am VERY
interested in obtaining a copy of your owners manual, etc..  Please
let me know what it would cost to have it copied and mailed to me in
Bakersfield, CA 93309.  I have downloaded everything I can from Tom's
site, but I would really appreciate having a copy of the paperwork for
a 28'SS of about the same year.  My 28' has had a grey water tank
added, as 1973 was the first year the EPA required grey water tanks in
Trailers, and it did come with an awning, which is in very good
shape.(nearly new fabric), other than that it is probably very similar
to yours.

What was the original cost for your 28 FT. SS?

By top vent, do you mean the three exterior vent caps?  I just
replaced the three on my SS.  I used galvanized metal ones that the
previous owner found at a Trailer Supply Store here in Bakersfield.  I
used Aluminum filled Alcoa Gutter Seal to seal them to the top.  My
original ones were plastic or fiberglass, and were not repairable.  I
believe the metal vent caps will last much longer than the plastic.
The base of the cap assembly is the same diameter as the original
ones, except they are held in with 5 metal screws instead of 10.  I
filled the old holes, that were not utilized, with the Gutter Seal,
and replaced the calking between the vent pipe and the trailer skin.
I used 3/4" # 10 SS metal screws to replace the original rusty #8
screws that were in the old vents.

As for the awning, I believe you can use an awning for an Airstream.
Some of the "Experts" on this forum can give you an answer on that.

Regards,

Ralph