The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Re: Door Hinges - Original dies?

I put a couple of nylon washers that I found at a hardware store in my hinge
on my '79 Supreme Saturn. Conveniently, one of the hinge pins had risen so
that I could work it out with pliers.
I selected the washers by outside diameter to fit into the hinge, then drilled
them out to the hinge pin size.
As the bearing area for radial load (pulling/pushing on the hinge)is many times
as large as the bearing area for axial load (vertical load), I don't anticipate
the hinge ever wearing out. When the nylon washers wear out I will just put new
ones in.

Can any tell why their hinges broke? "Zamak" by the latter part of the century
rarely deteriorated from impurities like early "Zamak" of the '20s and '30s.
Seizing of the hinges from lack of lubrication could be a cause.
Al