The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Hinges

I would not recommend getting hinges out of aluminum,
it is usually softer than steel or brass. Most
armorers would cut plates out and forge the hinges and
possibly do some welding, but some do castings.

Here is an armorer that offers hinges as part of his
shop and does nice work:

http://www.thadenarmory.com/sell/hinges/hinges.htm
Notice the ones on the bottom are $200 for 8 hinges,
but they are in brass or regular iron.

http://www.creationtime.com/dex1.html

As a note, stainless is harder to work and most places
do charge more for it.

This one does hinges, but might be too pricey, but who
knows? He can work stainless and does hardened steel,
which I would think would be ideal for hinges:
http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=105

Some do castings:
http://www.mandrakearmory.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=MA&Category_Code=JM
http://justus.pair.com/
http://www.anshelmarms.com/

I may end up trying to get help from armourers to help
with the minor dents I want pulled out if I can't find
a body shop that will handle it. They are artists, but
for their time and skills they are cheap. Often they
work out of their garage shops with little overhead.

I'll pass on any bites, meanwhile you can always
contact any of these guys directly because they may
not read the egroup I posted to.

Julie