The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] 1966 Silver Streak

I went to see the 66 SS today, now there was a disappointment.  It was at a
consignment place and the lady said the owner put the ad in.  The ad said all
new appliances?? and in excellent condition.  Ok it had never leaked I can say
that. A 40 year old RV with no roof leaks now that is something.  But
cigarette burns on the plastic bathroom sink, tub looked ok I think from what
I could see.  Someone had put some type of paneling over the paneling and
didn't even bother to put the plug covers back on, was rough.  The kitchen
sink was ceramic and had a big chip out of it.  The frig, which was white and
electric might have been new 30 years ago. When I opened the door it had rust
around the front where the seal contacts. One of the light fixtures was rusted
and no globe in the ceiling.  I didn't look at it all to closely because if
this stuff was like this, well who knows.  The electric box looked ok.  The
bottom of the door of the RV looked like about 4 inches of it had been soaked
in water and the wood part warped on the inside.  A couple of pretty good
dings on the outside of the door and a rip in the aluminum.  Overall the
outside wasn't bad for one so old.  The hitch looked good, to good actually
had been painted and in the rear the beams sticking out were painted black.
I'm wondering why they did that?  Do the old ones normally have the support
beans sticking out a bit beyond the trailer.  Maybe there had been a bumper.
A vent dented pretty good, pushed in in the middle where the fridge had been I
guess.  It was salvageable but definitely not excellent condition.

Hubby said if we could buy it for a couple thousand, gut it and redo it that
would work but I didn't even offer.  I doubt someone that thinks this was
excellent with new appliances would dicker.  What could they be thinking?  I
kind of wondered if it belonged to someone that was senile or something and I
don't mean that as funny.  They had started out at $5800 and now were asking
$4650.  Some other people apparently had looked at it and walked away also.
To bad. I may check back in a month or so.

I went to 3 of the RV parks at Galveston, Bayshore, Dellanear, and one other,
can't remember the name.  I drove through and in all of them I saw older RV's.
In fact the Dellanear one where the manager was so positive they didn't take
older trailers were where I found the oldest ones but maybe that is why.  They
had some beauties in there but toward the end there was one that might have
been a 66 that was crushed in above the hitch, another old motor home that
must have been a 70's or older.  I would say 5 to 6 that were 80's or older,
but the rest were awesome.  Same at Bayshore but their older ones were in very
good conditon.  The 3rd one had a mix.  I saw quite a few people at the state
park, good placement but would be inconvenient without sewer hookups.