The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] asking for a personal opinion

I don't know if I am the only really qualified opinion, because my only
experience of working and living has been with the Streamlines.  I own
neither a Silver Streak, nor an Airstream.

From what I have seen and heard though, both of the Streamline and Silver
Streak trailers are essentially the same.  Pat Patterson (no relation), who
started up the Streamline Company was one of the founding members of the
Silver Streak Company when they bought the Curtis Wright business.  When he
started making trailers under the Streamline name, they were essentially the
same trailer as the Silver Streak.

I hate to get into a discussion as to the relative merits of the Airstream
vs. Silver Streak/Streamline, but personally, I do view the latter as the
preferable trailer.  Certainly, it does have a little more room for storage
in the overhead cabinets because of the difference in curvature.
All of these trailers feature aluminum ribbing and exterior which is IMHO a
very desirable feature.  They all have the same kind of wooden floor and the
problems with possible floor deterioration are common.  Silver Streaks and
Streamlines have a regular frame, which I think is stronger.  The
Streamline, and probably the Silver Streak in the earlier years before gray
water tanks had both gray and black water flowing through the single tank,
rather than going directly to the ground.

Probably there are other differences, and advantages one way or the other.
The Airstream does command a higher price, but I think that this is solely
because of brand recognition, not because of better quality.

-Tom