The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Re: Silver Streak Digest V1 #85

I begin with an apology. My first test for joining this string was a question
to Tom and I see that it does get printed - that's great.

Hello fellow Silver Streak owners,

This may be a little long but I did want to share my experiences, so far,
with my 1958 SS Clipper and then ask for advise/assistance from you'all.

First, my experiences:  after looking for several years for an affordable
fixer-upper, I found this one but it had been painted on the outside with a
broom and a thick layer of white paint.  It did seem to have all original exterior
fixtures to include complete SS signs in front and back, and all correct
lights etc. although nothing was working.  The inside had many original
fixtures as well but was dirty.  This trailer had been used in the California desert for
a home base for motorcycle weeks end.

Anyways, I got it for $500.00 and towed it home.  I have been using JASCO
paint remover, then 00 steel wool with Methyl ethyl Ketone and then 00 steel
wool and water for a final wash.  I am very pleased with the outcome and might
suggest the later two-step for anyone that is looking for a first step to
clean aluminum before polishing.  As to this step, I am going to try FLITZ.  I have
used this in the areas where I'm beginning to reaffix outside stuff (lights,
etc) and it seems to work well.

Other stuff:  The 12V lights were not working with the front pigtail gone.
It took me some time but I discovered a screwed on cover plate in the front
inside and gives access to the pigtail connections.  I bought a seven way wire
and plug at my local Rv store, used a diagram provided via this network, and
WALA I HAD LIGHTS!  Of course that included new bulbs but what a thrill.

The bill-of-sale and penalty fees for the last ten years resulted in my
license plates, and with lights I could now tow for repairs as needed.

I have now pulled the wheels and the bearings look fine but I do want to
replace the hydraulic braking system with electric.  I've unbolted the
backing plate assembly from the axles and will visit my local RV shop to see about
buying a bolt on electric system - I will keep all advised.  PS: if I am successful
I will have an original hydraulic system available for that person that wants
full original stuff.
I did have to replace the front tongue jack and upgraded to 5000# capacity
for my own purposes although the whole trailer only weighs 3000# with an
advertised tongue weight of 300#. Oh well.

I also redid every window as I was doing the outside.  Mostly all original
glass except for some of the multi-paned units, which I had ordered from a
local glass co.  The fixed front window is still a question for me.  It looks
like it was fixed with double sided tape and then had a frame around it.  Can
someone confirm my guess?  Also is this frame removable or a fixed frame with
two screws on each side to hold it in?

Now to my first problem:  the window cranks.  I am lucky that I have all the
parts, etc. and that most of them do work.  However I need three inside worm
gears for these HEHR units.  I've check and the company is still in business
in Los Angeles but I've not had success with finding someone in the company
that will help.  Has anyone had a success with finding these parts or does someone
have these parts from their putting others systems in??  And also at the very
end of the extension arms for these units, there are two very small roller
bearings to aid movement in the window slot.  Does anyone have any of these or
know what they can be replaced with?

This is getting long so will close out for now, hoping that I can be of help
to you'all and maybe I can get some help in return.  Best regards and
'Keep on shining', jim