The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] 70's "Gold"

Hi Jim,
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:10:35 -0600 "Jim and Dorothy Dupree"
<dottiedup@hotPOP.com> writes:
> Al
>
> When I said "natural" I meant , uncoated nor anodized,which would be
what you would have if the clear coat on an Airstream or anodized finish
on a Avion or SS was removed. Once the aluminum is "bare" then you can
actually  polish the surface .

AL - Yes. The aluminum oxide that forms immediately upon exposure of
aluminum to the oxygen in the air is so thin that it polishes away as
long as the polishing is not too lighthanded and the abrasive not too
soft.

> From what I understand, the anodized finish is a result of an
electrolysis process which creates the dull but ultra hard finish with or
without color.

AL - That's right. I called it an "electrochemical" process, which is
what electrolysis is. The "anode" of course is the positive electrode.
The carborundum (AlOx) is second only to diamond in hardness.

> This same process is used on construction aluminum such as door and
window frames in aluminum, bronze, gold or other colors. Shower doors are
a good example. The color is actually an integral part of the anodizing
process, not an after effect.

AL - It is a dye, but as you say it is part of the anodizing process, not
something done afterwards. That's why we can't just re-dye it after it
has faded or been scratched or marred. Also when there has been damage
that breaks through the relatively brittle anodizing, to the best of my
knowledge it is not practical to re-form the coating.

> The 70's Silver Streaks, for whatever reason, change in process, dye,
etc., by the company just did not hold up. The 70's models are the only
SS's that I have seen the fading on.

AL - My '79 does not appear to have any significant fading. It was,
though, used for only about five years before being stored indoors up
until about 8 months ago. Time will tell if it will fade.

> Another unique feature of the Silver Streaks is that no two are exactly
alike.
> The purchase process, provided for custom order only, floor plan,
fabrics, cabinet and storage design, etc. Then, after purchase the rigs
were manufactured and the customer would go out to California  to pick it
up.

AL - I have the custom order papers in the portfolio from the original
owner.

>  It is interesting to go to the Houston Area SS Club rally, and see
15-20 units which are basically the same on the outside, but so
different on the inside. The 80's and up models, have a lighter wood
finish where most prior to that had dark wood.

AL - The interior looks nice but does not compare to the birch veneer
plywood in my '52 Imperial Spartanette.

> And, price!!!!!, I have the original sales receipt for my 1985, mod.
3411, ie.: 34'-11", Supreme. $48,500.00. That was a lot of bucks in 1985.

> I understand that the last models in "96" a few in "98" were going for
over $100,000.

AL - This '79 31'-1"was between $17,000 and $18,000, plus sales tax.
A brandnew Airstream Classic 34  $71,113 msrp
Sounds like Silver Streaks were priced out of the market.